Friday, June 10, 2011

Binary Version of the Start Menu

I've added a binary version of the Start Menu preview to CodePlex. I'm still working on the code (I've got a lot of ideas!), so the source is coming later.

 http://candescentnui.codeplex.com/releases/view/68088


There is currently only one item in the start menu by default (Windows Explorer). And there is no user interface for configuration yet, but you can add programs yourself by adding lines to the file menu_config.csv.

Please don't change the first line. Lines for programs have the following format: [Name];[Path]

Default
Explorer;c:\windows\explorer.exe
MyApp;c:\...\myapp.exe

To show the menu, present your open hand to the kinect at a distance of around 0.5 - 1 meter. To close it again, just close the hand. To start an application, stretch out one finger, move it over the icon, then close the hand quickly, so no finger is visible anymore.

To stop the application, press escape while the menu is shown.



Side note: Maybe you've noticed the new PayPal donate button on the right side of the blog. I've decided to  publish the quick start menu (and maybe more) applications for free as open source, but added the donate button in return. So if you would have bought the program, you are welcome to donate a small amount to help me cover expenses.

4 comments:

  1. Ricardo MedeirosJune 11, 2011 at 7:03 PM

    Hi Stefan, your work is amazing. Do you have plans in share the source code of this start menu and of your image manipulator, to show how to use your api.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ricardo

    I will publish the code for the start menu, yes. But I can't announce a date yet.

    Regards,
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried moving all the code to GPU for more speed, like for the palm calculations?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi EddHead

    No I haven't. Actually I have no experience in GPU programming. I'll first try to improve performance with Microsofts Task Parallel Library, though I don't know how much gains that will provide since the frames have to be processed in order.

    Regards,
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete